Cancer is a disease in which a group of cells display uncontrolled growth (Neoplasm), invasion (intrusion on and destruction of adjacent tissues), and sometimes metastasis (spread to other locations in the body via lymph or blood). Most cancers form a tumor but some, like leukemia, do not. The branch of medicine concerned with the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer is oncology. Cancer Screening, Early Cancer Diagnosis, Surgical excision as well as Chemotherapy and Adjuvant therapy treatment are all part of current efforts towards a better prognosis. Vedic Astrology can contribute significantly towards these efforts of cancer diagnosis and treatment by analyzing the individual horoscope to identify cancer potential as well as age timing at which cancer is likely to emerge.
Cancer affects all age groups and is classified by the type of cell and the tissue of origin;
- Carcinoma: Malignant tumors derived from epithelial cells. This group represents the most common cancers, including the common forms of breast, prostate, lung and colon cancer.
- Sarcoma: Malignant tumors derived from connective tissue, or mesenchymal cells.
- Lymphoma and leukemia: Malignancies derived from hematopoietic (blood-forming) cells
- Germ cell tumor: Tumors derived from totipotent cells. In adults most often found in the testicle and ovary; in fetuses, babies, and young children most often found on the body midline, particularly at the tip of the tailbone.
- Blastic tumor or Blastoma: A tumor (usually malignant) which resembles an immature or embryonic tissue. Many of these tumors are most common in children.
A Vedic horoscope can give a clear clue to cancer potential of the individual and the type of cancer by identifying the cancer origin tissue by examining the afflicted Zodiac Sign, House afflictions and the afflicting planets. Zodiac Signs, Astrology Horoscope Houses and Planets all relate to different parts of human body both external and internal. The afflicting planets are often the natural and functional malefics of the horoscope with Rahu-Ketu playing a significant role. For example, for lung Cancer, afflictions of Jupiter and Moon, the 4th and 6th houses and zodiac signs, Gemini, Cancer Virgo and Sagittarius are to be analyzed carefully. The mahadasha -antardasha related to these afflicting planets and signs are the time periods when the individual suffers from the corresponding cancer. In our future blogs, we plan to discuss astrologically each cancer types.